Friday, December 4, 2009

The PERFECT quickie gift for sewing friends...


This is my favorite tool and they are quick, easy and inexpensive to make!  I use simple bamboo skewers, various beads, and craft glue to make these stilettos.  I use this tool for EVERYTHING!! 


I push stuff under the sewing machine pressure foot when I'm piecing or sewing...I use it when preparing my applique pieces by the glue stick method...I use it to poke out corners when stuffing things (I blunt the pointy end a little first!).


I find the skewers at the grocery store, etc.  I have found 2 thicknesses...regular large beads work well with the thinner style, and I have found that pony beads or beads for children (like the one with the yellow star, above) work well with the thicker style.  Just find your skewers first, then buy beads to fit.

Using utility scissors, I cut the blunt end off the skewer to get the length I want, then I glue the beads on one at a time, using tacky craft glue.  You can make them as plain or fancy as you want.  I like using the alphabet beads to spell names or simple phrases...and the squareness of the beads keeps the stiletto from rolling off the table!

Enjoy!

In stitches,
Teresa   :o)

4 comments:

  1. I went to a quilt show this fall and the guild that was putting on the show also had a boutique and they were giving away something similar. Pretty neat. Their's did not have very many beads on them. I like yours a lot .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Teresa! You are a genius! Those fancy, decorated bamboo skewers are so cool!

    MaryLiz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, I am off to the bead store. Thanks for the heads up.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. cool, it may also call Virtual BBQ ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!