Monday, August 30, 2010

Some vintage Teresa...

I am quilting like mad on my Joseph's coat quilt along quilt for baby Asa, but don't really have a picture yet.

So, I thought I would show some quilts that I did before I started blogging last year.  This is Bessie the Cow...she's a patriotic old girl...


Check out the quilting on her chest...


The one below is called One Room Schoolhouse, machine pieced and hand quilted, made for my daughter's kindergarten teacher (she is now going into 8th grade...when did THAT happen?!?).




Here's another gift for a beloved teacher and I called it Red Schoolhouses, machine pieced and hand quilted.



This is a Bagello Quilt wall hanging that is hanging in my living room...the skinniest "slice" is a quarter of an inch wide...YIKES!  It is machine pieced and hand quilted.



This next one was wild (for me!).  It was the wedding quilt for my youngest sister.  They got married on the beach in Destin, Florida on a perfect October day.  Their colors were the colors of the water of the Gulf of Mexico (teal, aqua, blues, greens)...and bright orange (for the Monarch butterflies).  I just made up something youthful and funky.


I hand appliqued some hearts and butterflies that I drafted (from hearts) on random blocks.  They picked October on a Florida beach in the pan handle of the state due to all the Monarch butterflies that are there at that time (hence the bright orange in their color scheme!).  They were flying all around during the ceremony...oh, so cool!  The quilt was machine pieced and quilted (along with the hand applique).  The colors are really brighter and more beautiful than my bad photography indicates.  I really enjoyed collecting all the fabrics for this scrappy quilt.


Well, that was fun...going down memory lane.  I always think of this blog as my quilting journal, but I've been making quilts since 1982 and have only been blogging a little over a year.  I've got a little more catching up to do when it comes to sharing projects (at least for the things I have pictures of)!

I hope to be through with baby Asa's quilt soon.  I have a lot of "quilt guilt" over it, as my nephew is now 6 months old.  Do you deal well with quilt guilt?  I hate it, but I have a hard time avoiding it.  This hand piecing, hand quilting stuff takes time, and sometimes life gets in the way of my quilting agenda.  I will definitely be doing a little happy dance when I finish it and can send it off to my very patient sister.

In stitches,
Teresa  :o)

9 comments:

  1. Your hand quilting is fabulous!! I prefer it, but finding the time is nigh on impossible. I've decided that quilt guilt is part of the process. When I teach hand quilting, I tell them, "You don't need patience to hand quilt, you need IMpatience -- to get it done!!" You've inspired me. I need to get crackin' on several in the "to be quilted" pile!
    Blessings,
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your trip down memory lane :o) The cow is very cool and nothing is better than a house quilt (something that is on my to do list....some day).

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to see the quilts from your past I also like the porch your daughter was standing on to take the picture, looks like a great place to quilt. I am glad you added blogging to your hobbies, I always enjoy your posts.

    Happy Stitching,

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable quilts!! One Room quilt is awesome.And the cow is cool.You did great quilts.

    Happy quilting and nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Lots of lovely quilts Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great show and share today!
    I love the cow, so fun and also love the school house quilts, they are great.
    the second one is inspiring with that setting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are great at hand quilting. I like the USA on the cow. A very pretty quilt for your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cow is so cute! And wonderful appliqued hearts quilt

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your house quilt, and your hand quilting is wonderful. I'll bet your sister & BIL loved that quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!