Friday, May 3, 2013

Quilting is progressing...

 

Quilting is progressing...I must have been out of my mind to think I would have it finished by April 28.  One by one, I am working to do the outline and detail quilting of each block.



I have mixed feelings about hand quilting these blocks.  When I was in the applique stage, I worked so hard to make them completely flat, like a fabric painting.



As I add hand quilting stitches around the rose petals, things change to a 3-dimensional world...the rose comes to life, which is neat, but the perfectionist in me misses the flat "painting."  I almost feel like the totally "in-your-fac" quilting stitches distract from how hard I worked to make invisible applique stitches during block construction.



When I look at the roses from the side, I see the puffiness that the quilting causes.  I have to remember that it is a quilt, with batting, the hand quilting is supposed to add definition and life.




Hand quilting the trombone block made the posies pop a little, which was fun (please excuse the crooked photo).  I had reverse appliqued the posie centers, and I think that helped give the flowers some height.



What possessed me to make so many tiny leaves to outline?!



"Pop" go the posies!



I think the outline quilting helped to make the skinny trombone more prominent. 

I let the flower jar print dictate how I quilted it.



Quilting between the "ridges" on the column pedestal deepened the feeling of actual grooves.



The clarinet block is done too.


Unlike the trombone block leaves, these are big enough to do a little quilting on them.




Weasley doesn't fit in this particular quilting hoop.  I wasn't fast enough in getting the camera while he was trying, bless his little kitty heart.  He had to settle for beside the frame.  It was hilarious to see!

In stitches, 
Teresa   :o)

22 comments:

  1. Teresa, This is gorgeous. You will have an heirloom in this quilt. I admire your vigilence in getting it done. My hard work never seems to get completed. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing close ups of the blocks and the quilting is amazing. Wow. Thanks for sharing. Keep going and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful. I like the quilted flowers, LUV the piano and flower jar print! Wesley gets an A for trying to curl up in hoop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really moving along ; I, for one, love the "popping-out" effect--it gives such dimension to your blocks. I just can't get over how lovely this is...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is your next show winner!!!! Sew beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your attention to detail is amazing. I love watching this beautiful quilt come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, if you would have rushed for that deadline, you would not have had this wonderful time to 'love' each block with stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bet you are enjoying this so much more now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilting is wonderful and it's great to see the progress you are making. I admire anyone who can stay focused on their quilting and not get distracted by a zillion other projects. Explains why my 40th birthday quilt is only half quilted 10 years later!! I hope Weasley wipes his paws before stepping on your precious quilt. He's a very handsome boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are looking wonderful. I do think the quilting enhances each part of the block. Have you thought about matching the color of thread with the roses or leaves so it would blend in with the object, but still give it the dimension, and perhaps not draw attention away from your applique stitches? I understand what you were saying, but not sure which I prefer. I'd have to test a block first to see a side by side comparison. The background cross-hatching really is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every time you post pictures of this quilt I am amazed all over again by your quilting talents. I think once it is all quilted and off the frame you will see how much the quilting adds and makes the whole quilt so much more beautiful. Sometime it is hard to see the forest for the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful photos of your stitching...thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the rose looks just perfect but I know what you mean about being a perfectionist. My husband is always telling me off because I'm never satisfied with anything I make, always picking holes in it.
    I see you have a helper, they don't always help though do they? It's almost like they know they shouldn't be there. lol
    All the pictures are wonderful as usual.
    love your work
    Briony
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Poor Weasley he's so deprived ROFL. I know what you mean about liking the "painted" look of the blocks but I truly love the new definition these beautiful blocks have :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing so many pics of your fine fine work! I am sorry you are saddened to see your flat painting turn into 3d art.. but it is! Maybe next time you want a flat quilt you can use something different for batting :) I love the quilt and all the progress you are making and love the diagonal background... I enjoy hand quilting! Hope you do too! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that your quilting is just outstanding. I think that we're always way too critical of our work. The whole quilt is a work of art and I love the definition that your quilting is giving to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When you were appliqueing you wanted it flat as that is the way good applique is done. Now that you are outline quilting things get dimensional, just the way it is happens....and you know there is a next "stage" as well....and that is what will happen when the quilt is washed. Anyway you look at this the quilt is a stunner!!! and I for one am pleased to watch it happen. You have a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This quilt is absolutely gorgeous. It was a shame to try and rush yourself though this. I am glad you are back to a normal pace and we can all see how you enjoy doing this. Thank you sor sharing your beautiful work. I hope that we will see this entered in a big show like Lancaster, etc.
    I would love to see this up close and personal. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilting is stunning. The additional outlining adds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. truly obsessive you are! clearly something like this cannot be rushed. I bet you are enjoying the process more now that you gave up on the deadline. your work is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an absolutely beautiful quilt and your hand quilting is adding more beauty to it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a musician I'm always drawn to quilts with musical themes, and yours is the best one I've ever seen. Your applique work is fantastic. I love all your attention to detail. I understand what you mean about the quilting changing the 'flatness' of the appliques, but I think it looks lovely quilted. It makes the appliques stand out. I can't believe you're hand quilting the whole thing. Whew !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the quilt cave...I love your feedback!

I am sorry, but you need a Google account/Profile to pose a question or leave a comment. That is very easy to get (FOR FREE) at Google.com.

Of course, you can click on my email and contact me there any time!

I am no longer able to accept comments from Anonymous readers...too much weird spam!